Commuter Life FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions

What programs and services are available to commuters?

Commuter Breakfast Calls, Commuter Pick Me Up’s and Commuter Appreciation Day are just some of the events offered to commuters. For more information about activities or to suggest a commuter-friendly event, contact Melissa Espinoza at (914) 654-5862 or You may also view the College calendar for a month-by-month view of events, trips and other activities.

How can I get information on weather-related school delays/closures?

Should a decision be made to cancel classes due to emergency weather conditions, information will be posted on our homepage at For a list of radio and television stations that will be notified, CLICK HERE.

Where can I learn about events and trips that are happening?

Bulletin Boards maintained by Student Development staff are located on the 1st and 2nd floors of the Sweeny Student Center (SSC). They contain updated information about events and local happenings. In addition, check out the bulletin boards and digital signage located throughout campus, as well as the College calendar.

Can I be involved in athletics as a commuter?

Athletics are an integral part of the undergraduate experience.  The College of New Rochelle sponsors six NCAA DIII programs for women (basketball, cross country, tennis, softball, swimming and volleyball) as well as a robust intramurals program.  Visit for more information.

What club, organization, events and trips are available?

A host of clubs and organizations, traditions and events, and trips and tours allow for students to become actively involved in campus life. CLICK HERE to learn more.

What are the Weeks of Welcome (WOW) events?

Commuter students are invited to participate in the Weeks of Welcome events that are held throughout the month of September. There are also a number of extracurricular opportunities for you to engage in during the academic year.

What is an Auxiliary Account?

Auxiliary accounts allow you to place money in an account that can be accessed via your CNR I.D. This account can be used to purchase food in the Café tax-free, as well as in various vending machines, the print shop, book store and mail room. To open an Auxiliary Services Account, contact the Office of Safety & Security at (914) 654-5204. Payment for the account must be separate from tuition payments.

Where can I get a parking tag?

Parking tags, which allow you to park in one of the College's three parking lots, are available to commuter students through the Security Office for $5 per year. Pick up your tag before you park to ensure that you will not be ticketed. If you choose to park on local city streets, please obey posted signage regarding City of New Rochelle parking regulations.

Are Metro Cards available for sale on campus?

Metro Cards are available for purchase through the Student Development Office, located in Sweeny Student Center, Room 231.

Are there printed bus and train schedules available on campus?

Time Schedules for the Bee Line Bus System and Metro North are located on the windowsill of the 2nd floor of the Sweeny Student Center near the Student Development Office, Room 231.

Can I have a mailbox on campus?

Campus Mailboxes are available upon request. They are located across from the bookstore on the lower level of the Student Campus Center. Contact the Mail Center at (914) 654-5483 to sign up!

What is Emergency Housing?

If you have had a long day on campus and are too tired to drive home, or in the case of inclement weather, Residence Life has set aside a small number of beds for you. Available on a first-come, first-served basis at a small cost, emergency housing is offered for one or two nights. Contact (914)654-5862 for more information.

What if I decide I want to live on campus?

If you decide you want to live on campus, please contact Linda Evangelou at or visit Residence Life.

Can I get a locker to store my belongings while on campus?

Don’t feel like dragging your books back and forth from home? A limited number of lockers are available in the lower level of the Mooney Center to allow commuters to store textbooks, clothing, or other items. You must provide your own lock. For more information call (914) 654-5203.

Where can I spend time between classes?

Lounges are located on the first floor of the Mooney Center, the second floor of the Sweeny Student Center, and in the Library Café. They provide vending options and comfortable seating for commuter students who are in between classes, waiting for a ride, or just need a moment to unwind.  Also available is the Wellness Center, featuring a fitness room, gymnasium, jogging track, swimming pool and meditation room.

Where can I get my CNR ID validated when I return to campus?

Returning commuters can get their current ID validated in the Office of Safety & Security during their normal business hours. Please note that all College offices are closed on Labor Day.