Health Services Frequently Asked Questions
Who can receive health care at Health Services?
Students who have submitted a completed health assessment form are eligible to receive health care.  All students may receive the Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine.

Do I need to bring anything with me when I come to the Health Services Office?
Initially, bring a copy of your health insurance card.  We will keep the copy with your records.  Insurance information is needed for situations including hospital or specialists referral and loboratory work.  Please make sure to notify us of any changes.

What should I expect when I come to Health Services for an office visit?
You will be asked questions about your past and present health status, medications, known allergies, and any other personal information that will be helpful to the provider in meeting your health needs. Our staff is here to listen and help. It is vital that you be as open and honest as possible.

I was just seen at Health Services for a cold and wasn’t prescribed an antibiotic.  My family doctor at home always gives me an antibiotic when I’m sick. Why didn’t I get a prescription for an antibiotic?
Colds, flu, and most sore throats and bronchitis are caused by over 200 different viruses.  Antibiotics do not help fight viruses.  They may do more harm than good. Taking antibiotics when they are not needed and cannot treat the illness increases the risk of a resistant infection later.  There has been an emergence of “superbugs” that are resistant to commonly used antibiotics.
Can I schedule a routine gynecological exam?
Women's health care services are available when problems arrise.  Our experienced Nurse Practitioners will perform the exam, send lab work, and offer education/counseling and treatment when appropriate. 

Are there any charges for services received at the Health Services Office?
Most visits to see a health care provider are free of charge.  However, if lab testing is performed, medication is dispensed, or immunizations are administered there are charges associated with those services.  All charges are payable by cash, check, or money order at the time of the visit. 

Can I obtain an absence note from the Health Services Office for missing classes?

No, Health Services does not provide absence notes when students do not attend class for illness.  You are encouraged to have direct dialogue with the professor.

Will my parents or professors know that I was seen at Health Services?
Confidentiality is a priority at the Health Services Office. We do not share medical information with anyone, without your written consent, except in emergency situations.

Does the Health Services Office accept my health insurance?

Health Services does not accept any health insurance plans.  It is a good idea to carry your health insurance card anyway since you may require laboratory work or pharmacy services which may accept your health insurance.

What outside laboratory do you use?
We use Labcorp and Bendiner Laboratories.  It is your responsibility to check with your insurance provider to see if your plan participates with these laboratories.  For students who do not have insurance, we have found Bendiner Laboratory to be inexpensive and in many cases, less than insurance co-payments; however, payment must be made at the time of service.

I have a health hold on my registration and can’t register for classes.  Can you remove the health hold?

New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all students born on or after January 1, 1957 to demonstrate proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella as defined by New York State. You must submit documentation from a health care provider or former school health official verifying that you have received the required vaccinations with specific dates or copies of lab work (titers) demonstrating immunity from these diseases.  Measles, mumps, and rubella immunizations and titers are available at the Health Services Office.  A health hold cannot be removed until New York State requirements are met and documentation is received.

Can I submit the physical just performed by my doctor?

Yes, as long as the physical was performed within one year of beginning classes.  In addition, the nurse practitioners are available to perform a physical at your request.
If I had a Sports Physical in the fall semester, do I need another one in the spring semester (same academic year)?
No, however, if you are playing a different sport, you must come into the office and fill out a Sports Physical Form updating your health history, and then review it with a nurse practitioner.

How can I obtain a copy of my health records?

All requests for copies of health records must be made in writing to the Health Services Office accompanied by a $5.00 fee for administrative purposes.   The records will be sent to the address requested.  Please allow five business days.

Can you refer me to see a specialist?
Yes, we can refer you to be seen by a specialist.  If you have health insurance, we suggest you research specialists covered by your plan.  If you do not have health insurance, we will give you a list of providers that you may choose from.

What do I do if a health emergency occurs in the residence halls after Health Services closes?
Contact the Resident Assistant on Duty. If necessary she will then contact the Residence Director on Duty, and if needed, call 911. If it is a life threatening emergency, call 911 and be prepared to say exactly where you are and what is wrong.  DO NOT HANG UP UNTIL EMS INSTRUCTS YOU TO.  After you hang up, call Security.  For your protection, Automated External Defibrillator’s (AED) are located in the Security Office and the Wellness Center.

How do I register for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)?

Registration forms are available online and in the Health Services Office.  Payment must be sent to the Health Services Office with a completed registration form.  You will receive a confirmation letter and then come to Health Services to pick up your booklet.

When will my CPR card be issued?
Generally, cards are issued approximately two weeks after the class. Our staff will call and let you know when the certification card arrives.

What do I need to do if my Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) card has expired?
If your card has expired, you can register for a full certification course.