A goal of Health Services is to provide all patients with high quality health care in a manner that clearly recognizes individual needs and rights. To effectively accomplish this goal, it is necessary for patients and health care providers to work together. To that end, the following rights and responsibilities must be recognized and safeguarded.
As a patient you have the following RIGHTS:
- To receive care and treatment with courtesy, respect and consideration.
- To be afforded privacy and confidentiality.
- To receive information in terms that you can understand and to have any questions answered concerning your diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and any associated risks.
- To refuse to be examined or treated by health practitioners and to be informed of the consequences of such decisions.
- To be referred to an alternative health care source when appropriate or upon request.
- To participate actively in decisions regarding one’s health care and treatment.
- To know the identity of your health care provider.
- To know the contents of your medical record through interpretation by your health care provider.
As a patient you have the following RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To show courtesy and consideration for Health Services staff.
- To provide complete information about Immunizations, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications and allergies to enable proper evaluation and treatment.
- To ask questions or for clarification if needed to ensure that there is an adequate understanding of the health problem or treatment.
- To follow instructions concerning medications, follow-up visits, and other essential steps in your treatment plan, and to notify provider if plan cannot be followed, condition worsens or an unexpected reaction occurs.
- To keep scheduled appointments or cancel within a reasonable time ahead so that another person may be given that time slot.
- To be respectful of other patients’ privacy and confidentiality.
- To carry adequate health insurance.
- To pay any charges billed to you.
You may direct any concerns about Rights and Responsibilities to the Director of Health Services.