Childhood Education and Childhood Special Education
This program is designed for those who seek initial professional certification in childhood education and initial professional certification to teach
children with disabilities in inclusive, center-based, home, or school settings. Coursework is aligned with the NYS Learning Standards and is designed to provide you with content on working in childhood education and with children with disabilities across contexts. The sequence will provide you with skills to work with children with mild, moderate, severe, or profound learning disabilities and behavior disorders. The literacy courses, in particular, will emphasize children with mild language or learning disabilities.
The program offers challenging educational experiences to ensure that you achieve the highest standards of academic excellence. Courses in the program reflect a strong cognitive developmental perspective and focus on developing teachers who have an appreciation and respect for the full range of intellectual, social, emotional, physical, cultural, and spiritual differences among their colleagues and students.
NEW YORK TEACHER EDUCATION STANDARDS
In accordance with the New York Teacher Education Standards, the program
provides substantive coursework, supervised field experiences and in-depth
reflective seminars. To graduate, candidates must demonstrate mastery of
pedagogical knowledge, understanding, and skills appropriate for teaching
in childhood (first through sixth grades).
Required Courses - 42-45 Credits
- EDU 512 - Foundations of Education 3 cr.
- EDU 550 - Child Development 3 cr.
- EDU 551 - Cognition and Instruction 3 cr.
- EDU 514 - Community as Curriculum: A Multicultural Perspective 3 cr.
- EDU 515 - Differentiated Instruction in the Learning Environment 3 cr.
- EDU 519 - Creative Arts for Teaching and Learning 3 cr.
- SED 562 - Teaching Reading and Writing to Students with Learning Disabilities and Behavioral Disorders 3 cr.
- SED 563 - Teaching Math, Science, and Technology to Children with Learning and Behavioral Disorders 3 cr.
- LIT 503 - Using Literature in the Classroom 3 cr.
- SED 560 - Instructional and Curricular Components for Teaching Students with Autism and Severe Disabilities 3 cr.
- SED 579 - Learning and Behavior Disorders in Children 3 cr.
- SED 812 - Student Behavioral Strategies in the Classroom 3 cr.
- SED 793 - Educational Assessment and Applications 3 cr.
- SED 892 - Leadership Seminar in Childhood Special Education: Field Practicum and Research with Special Project 3 cr.
- EDU 333 - Student Teaching for Childhood Education / Childhood Special Education 3 cr. 2 sites (if needed)
Teacher Certification Workshop Series - No Credit
The Certification Workshop Series is required for initial certification. No credit is given for this required workshop series. The sessions are divided into the following topics:
- WCS 983 - Identification & Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect (2 hours)
- WCS 984 - School Violence Prevention and Intervention (2 hours)
- WCS 985 - Child Abduction Prevention
- WCS 986 - Substance Abuse Prevention and Awareness
- WCS 987 - Health and Safety Issues with Fire Safety and Arson Prevention
- WCS 990 - DASA: Bullying Prevention Training