Public Administration with Concentration in Long Term Care
Within the Master of Public Administration program is a specialized track in Nursing Home Administration. Students in the MPA program who choose this track will be dually enrolled in the NYSED-approved Advanced Certificate program in Long-Term Care Administration as a specialization.
Three courses in this advanced certificate program will meet the requirements for three of the courses in the MPA program.
This specialization is designed to meet the requirements for the New York State Board of Nursing Home Examiners Course Requirements for Licensure as a Nursing Home Administrator. In addition to these course requirements, candidates are expected to meet eligibility standards of the Board of Examiners, pass a licensure examination, and complete a supervised AIT (Administrator in Training) Internship. Prospective students are advised to consult with the New York State Board of Nursing Home Examiners to determine eligibility.
Requirements for Master of Public Administration
- PAD 501 - Introduction to Public Administration, 3 cr.
- PAD 601 - Management of Non-Profit and Public Agencies, 3 cr.
- PAD 602 - Public Policy, 3 cr.
- PAD 604 - Human Resource Management, 3 cr.
- PAD 606 - Legal and Ethical Aspects of Public Administration, 3 cr.
- PAD 608 - Finance & Economic Policy, 3 cr.
- PAD 623 - Non-Profit Communication and Fund Raising, 3 cr.
- PAD 624 - Business and Professional Presentations, 3 cr.
- PAD 630 - Public Relations Campaigns For Not-for-Profit Organizations, 3 cr.
- PAD 640 - Leadership & Team Building, 3 cr.
- PAD 701 - Program Evaluation, 3 cr.
- PAD 710 - Internship in Public Administration, 3 cr.
- PAD 711 - Comprehensive Exam, 0 cr.
Requirements for Long Term Care Specialization (3 credits each)
- GRT 500 - Introduction to Gerontology
- GRT 710 - Nursing Home Administration
- LTC 503 - Budgeting and Financial Accounting
- LTC 504 - Management of Human Resources
- LTC 505 - Health Care Ethics, Law, and Policy