School Building Leadership and School District Leadership
This Master of Science degree program focuses on assisting students to obtain knowledge of current theory, best practices, and issues involved in school building-level and school district-level leadership.
The program leads to New York State initial/professional certification as School Building Leader and professional certification as School District Leader. In order to receive professional certification as School District Leader, students must have successfully completed three (3) years of classroom teaching service and/or educational leadership service and/or pupil personnel service experience in public or non-public schools grades PK-12 and a total of 60 graduate level credits.
Required Courses - 36-39 Credits
- EDL 602 - The Principalship: Operational Models for Effective Schools 3 cr.
- EDL 604 - Curriculum and Instruction for School Leaders 3 cr.
- EDL 606 - Enhancing Teaching and Learning through Supervision 3 cr.
- EDL 607 - Application of Technology for Instructional Leaders 3 cr.
- EDL 703 - School Law 3 cr.
- EDL 705: Finance and Facility Management 3 cr.
- EDL 708 - Human Resource Management 3 cr.
- EDL 710 - Research, Assessment, and Data Analysis 3 cr.
- EDL 802 - Building Effective School Board and Community Partnerships 3 cr.
- EDL 806 - Leader as Change Agent 3 cr.
- EDL 809 - Superintendency: Systems Management and Ethics 3 cr.
Students have a choice of completing the 400-hour internship on a part-time basis over two semesters (6 credits) or on a full-time basis in one semester (3 credits).
- EDL 966 - Internship in School Building Leadership (400 hours) 3 cr. or
- EDL 967 - Internship I in School Building Leadership (200 hours) 3 cr. and
- EDL 968 - Internship II in School Building Leadership (200 hours) 3 cr.
To be completed prior to submitting the Application for Degree:
- Child Abuse Workshop
- School Violence Workshop
- DASA Training: Bullying Prevention
To be complete for the degree:
- School Leadership Assessment: School District Leader (Part 1 & Part 2)
NOTE: The New York State Education Department requires students to earn a passing score on the SDL Parts 1 and 2 prior to program graduation.