Thanatology (Grief Counseling) Advanced Certificate
The Advanced Certificate Program in Thanatology (Grief Counseling) is designed for students who have completed their baccalaureate degree and are interested in working with the dying and bereaved, or for students who have a master's degree and seek additional training. The certificate also may be taken as part of the master's program in Guidance and Counseling, Mental Health Counseling, or Art Therapy.
The program is designed to meet the criteria for certification by the Association for Death Education and Counseling. Graduates of the program have found employment in hospices, hospitals, and agencies that serve dying and bereaved clients. Other students have used the certificate to enhance their skills and roles as hospice staff, clergy or spiritual care workers, nurses, educators, counselors, and social workers.
Required Courses - 18 credits
- GSC 584 - Introduction to Theories of Counseling, 3 cr.
- GSC 692 - Children, Adolescents, Loss, and Death, 3 cr.
- PSY 581 - Interviewing and Counseling, 3 cr.
- GRT 614 - Dying and Death, 3 cr.
- GRT 615 - Grief, Mourning, and Bereavement, 3 cr.
- GRT 703 - Field Experience: Internship in Thanatology, 3 cr.