Transfer Admissions

For admission purposes, you are a transfer student if you have registered at a college or university after graduating from high school. Applicants are required to have performed well in a strong academic program.


  • If you have earned fewer than 24 credits at the time of application, your high school transcripts and SAT scores must also be submitted.
  • Courses completed with grades of C- or better and similar to those offered at The College of New Rochelle, are acceptable for transfer. Learn more about transfer credit policies.
  • The College of New Rochelle will transfer up to 75 credit hours.
  • Writing and mathematics placement tests will not be required if students have passed equivalent courses with a C- or better.
  • Students who have completed an associate degree with a minimum of 60 credits will be granted junior status.
    • Official transcript must indicate that the degree was granted.
    • The liberal arts core will be satisfied, with the provision that two semesters of a foreign language have been completed and the math requirements are equal to CNR's MTH 109 Quantitative Reasoning or MTH 111 College Mathematics.
  • Transfer students must complete one-half of her major and minor courses at The College of New Rochelle.
  • 30 of the credits required in residence must be completed at the junior or senior level.
  • Transfer credit evaluations will be completed and an evaluation provided to the student.
  • A transfer student intending to pursue an art major is required to show the chairperson of the Art Department a portfolio of her work to determine proficiency.
  • Offers of admission are conditional, pending receipt of all official records showing successful completion of academic work in progress.

Transfer Credit Policies

  • Courses are evaluated individually. Credits for all courses passed with a letter grade of C- or higher at regionally accredited institutions are evaluated for applicability to specific CNR degree requirements.
  • Transfer credit is entered on the official College transcript. Grades received for transferred courses are not shown nor are they included in the calculation of the student's cumulative grade point average at CNR.
  • Credits earned at community and technical colleges are considered to be lower-division credit.
  • Transfer courses are reviewed individually for their applicability toward fulfillment of general education requirements.
  • Transfer students who have completed college-level study at an institution outside of the United States will have their credits evaluated for application to the College's general education requirements.
  • International students are required to have their credits evaluated by World Education Services (WES).
  • Courses satisfactorily completed elsewhere toward the intended major or needed to fulfill the upper-division credits requirement must be evaluated by the appropriate academic department before credit is awarded.
  • When the transfer application is complete, an official letter of response, with a preliminary credit evaluation, will be sent to the student.
  • Official transcripts and any other documentation necessary for transfer of credits to fulfill graduation requirements must be on file in the Office of the Registrar. Students must request these materials from previously attended institutions.

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CNR allows a maximum of 15 credits toward the degree only for entering students who have successfully passed examinations in the College-Level Examination Program (sponsored by the Educational Testing Service).

For CLEP General Examinations (offered in the areas of English composition, humanities, mathematics, natural sciences and social-services history) the recommendations of the Commission of Accreditation of Service Experience of the American Council on Education will be followed in the determination of passing scores.

For CLEP Subject Examinations, the recommendations of the Council on College-Level Examinations will be followed in making this determination. CLEP credits may be used to fulfill requirements in the major field only with the approval of the department chairperson.