The Wellness Center
At The College of New Rochelle, wellness is much more than the latest buzzword. Promoting wellness of the body, mind, and spirit is a way of life that stretches across our curriculum, our campus, and our student activities.
The award-winning Wellness Center, completed in 2008, helped bring the College to the next level in wellness education.
The building includes a gymnasium with basketball and volleyball courts and arena-style bleachers for up to 1,000 people; suspended above it is a running track.
The Wellness Center is also home to a six-lane NCAA competition-size swimming pool with spectator seating for 100. The pool hosts a variety of classes for students and members, and is open for recreational use. Six skylights bathe the pool in daylight.
A fitness center features treadmills, elliptical machines, recumbent bicycles, and rowers. A full line of strength training equipment and free weights is also available.
The meditation room and dance studio features hardwood floors, large glass windows, a full-length mirror, and a ballet bar.
Other Wellness Center amenities include a contemplation roof garden, women's and men's locker rooms with showers, a contemplation garden on the roof above the pool, and technologically equipped classrooms.
The Wellness Center, designed by the firm ikon.5, has been awarded Silver status under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system for "green" buildings.
Other awards include:
- Society of American Registered Architects, Silver Award, 2013
- New York Construction, Best Sports Facility Project, 2008
- Engineering News Record, Best of the Best Sports/Recreation Project, 2008
- American School & University Magazine, Excellence, 2008
- New York League of Conservation Voters, Honor Award 2008
- Concrete Industry Board, Award of Merit - Special Recognition, 2009
- Contract Magazine, Interiors Award, 2010